Sunday, February 26, 2023

Ari's Tasting- Boom Boom Syrah


 Boom Boom; the grapes in this bottle were Syrah, country of origin is from the United States and the region of origin is the Columbia Valley in Washington State. The vintage year is 2019 and a glass at the restaurant Fields was about $12. 

I got a glass of this wine at a restaurant called Fields. I had it with charred oysters and it changed the flavors of the wine for me. At first it was a bit too dry for my liking, but the food helped subside that feeling for me. I did ask for a semi-sweet wine and this was the closest they could get for me. 


On page 148 of Wine Folly, it does state that there are "black pepper" tastes in Syrah. I will say that when I drank this wine, I got a peppery taste in the back of my throat as an after taste. I did not originally identify it as a black pepper, but I now can see that it could be that. I was originally thinking more of a spicy pepper. 

Throughout drinking this wine, it was a little bit bitter, and I tend to link bitter and dry with one another. I think this is why this wasn't my favorite wine to drink, so I'm glad I only tried a glass. But as I said before the oysters helped take this bitter "dark chocolate" flavor as described on page 148 of Wine Folly, away. Once I started eating with it, I began to get a tiny bit of a sweet aroma, but since it had a thicker body to it, I still wasn't enjoying it very much. 


From now on, I can try to avoid Syrah's since I now know I'm not a fan of the bitters in the dark chocolate and the aftertaste of pepper along with a thicker body. Maybe it would be different if it was thinner and lighter because it would have been easier to swallow for myself. When my palate changes in the future, maybe I will enjoy this wine, but for now not so much. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Ari's Wine and Cheese Blog

Lamarca Prosecco; the grape variety is prosecco, country of origin is Italy, the region is Veneto there is no vintage year, the price was $5...