Friday, March 31, 2023

Ari's tasting- Joseph Handler, sweet red, Rheinhessen

 

This wine is Joseph Handler sweet red. The grape varietal is Dornfelder. The country of origin is Germany, and the region of origin is Rheinhessen. The vintage year is 2021. I got this wine from Trader Joes and the price was $6.99.

Trader Joes did not have a description of the wine, so I did some searching and on Vivino.com it had descriptions of having raspberry, cherry, strawberry, plum, blueberry, jam and cheese (yeasty) flavors. 2018 Joseph Händler Sweet Red | Vivino

When I did the swirl and sniff test I got aromas of tobacco, and earthy smells. However, when I tasted the wine, it was completely different from that. It is a very light bodied wine, somewhat acidic, not very tart, and it was very fruity. All of these qualities of this wine are great for someone with a less diverse palate. 

According to Wine Folly on page 196, dornfelder grapes are a "simple medium red wine with sweet red fruit flavors, an herbaceous green note, medium tannin, and spicy acidity."

I thoroughly enjoyed this wine, and I will buy more the next time I go to Trader Joes. The price was great, and I am happy with the qualities of the wine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ari's Wine and Cheese Blog

Lamarca Prosecco; the grape variety is prosecco, country of origin is Italy, the region is Veneto there is no vintage year, the price was $5...