Friday, March 31, 2023

Ari's Tasting- Horton Cabernet Franc

 

Horton Cabernet Franc; the varietal is Cabernet Franc. The country of origin is the United States, and the region is Orange County, Virginia. The vintage year is 2015. I did not buy this bottle; my cousin gave it to me because they did not want it. I see on winesearcher.com it was most likely $18 for the bottle. Where to buy 2015 Horton Vineyards Cabernet Franc, Orange County | prices & local stores in VA, USA (wine-searcher.com)

Since I did not buy this wine I didn't see any descriptors of what the store said about it. On Vivino.com people noted this wine to have hints of oak, vanilla, tobacco, earth, smoke, tar, cherry, raspberry and cranberry. 2015 Horton Cabernet Franc | Vivino

According to Wine Folly, on page 106 the dominant flavors of a Cabernet Franc are "strawberry, roasted pepper, red plum, crushed gravel and chili pepper." They are rich in tannins and has a lot of acidity according to the graph on page 106.

When I did the swirl and sniff test on this wine, I immediately got an aroma of raspberry. It reminded me of raspberry jam. The wine was very tart and acidic, a little too overpowering for the kind of palate I have as of right now. However, I was able to get over it somewhat when I breathed the wine in and started using my olfactory senses. At that point, I tasted a very sweet taste, and it reminded me of a fruity candy. So, I immediately noticed the fruity flavors of this wine. 

I honestly couldn't pick up any other flavors in this wine. It was a medium bodied wine and very acidic. This isn't something that I'm very excited to try again. However, since I will be drinking more wine throughout my life, I am interested to see if this might be something I'm interested in tasting at another point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ari's Wine and Cheese Blog

Lamarca Prosecco; the grape variety is prosecco, country of origin is Italy, the region is Veneto there is no vintage year, the price was $5...