Sunday, April 16, 2023

Ari's Tasting- Barefoot Sweet Red Blend

 

Barefoot Sweet Red Blend; according to Total Wine the blend includes Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Barbera, Grenache and Petite Sirah. country of Origin is the United States, and the region and vintage year are not available with this wine. The price was $4.99 at Food Lion. 

There was no description of the wine at Food Lion, however Total Wine explains it as "ripe, jammy, with flavors of raspberry, plum, cherry, with a smooth finish."

Barefoot Cellars Sweet Red Blend | Total Wine & More

When I did the sniff and swirl test for this wine, I smelled a sweet fruity smell similar to a hard candy. When I tasted this wine, I tasted berries, and it was similar to a jelly for me. I couldn't taste anything else at first, but then I breathed in the wine and chewed it and got a chocolate taste. It reminded me of a dessert with raspberry and chocolate. This is a very smooth wine, and I would definitely drink it again. I was a little worried it would be too sweet since it is a Barefoot Wine. 

Page 128 of Wine Folly states that Zinfandels have flavors of "blackberry, strawberry, peach preserves, 5 spice powder, and sweet tobacco." Page 100 states Pinot Noir has flavors of "cranberry, cherry, raspberry, clove, mushroom." Page 104 states Barbera has flavors of "sour cherry, licorice, blackberry, dried herbs and tar." Page 112 explains how Grenache has flavors of "dried strawberry, grilled plum, grapefruit, leather, licorice." Page 148 states that Petite Sirah has flavors of "sugar plum, blueberry, dark chocolate, black pepper, and black tea." These descriptions validated the flavors I was getting from it when I tried it myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ari's Wine and Cheese Blog

Lamarca Prosecco; the grape variety is prosecco, country of origin is Italy, the region is Veneto there is no vintage year, the price was $5...